Today in the field of medical engineering, the most modern IT, diagnostic imaging and mechatronic components are applied. Since 2003, the MZH does research work in the field of medical equipment technology and mechatronically assisted precision surgery in close cooperation with medical scientists. In this field, there exist long-term cooperations between the MZH and the Clinic for Laryngology, Rhinology and Otology of the Hannover Medical School (MHH) and various partners in industry.
Some of the medical engineering research topics dealt with at the MZH are
- development of mechatronic methods in the field of ENT surgery,
- application of robotics and navigation in minimally invasive surgery,
- medical diagnostic imaging,
- minimally invasive implant insertion (Cochlea implant until 2008),
- continuum robots for surgical systems.
A future goal of the MZH is to further reduce (access) trauma in combination with safe manipulation of delicate anatomical structures. For all medical engineering projects, please refer to